[Thunar-dev] Exif Metadata Columns

Shawn Zier shawnzier at imapmail.org
Mon Jun 25 19:18:31 CEST 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:37:03 +0200
Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net> wrote:

> On sam, 2007-06-23 at 18:44 -0400, Shawn Zier wrote:
> > I am looking for a way to manage my photos through the file manager.
> > What I'm looking for is the ability to add EXIF metadata columns in
> > the file manager. If you know a way to do this, please let me know. I
> > see that thunar is able to query this metadata through the properties
> > pane, but it does not look like it has the ability to add columns for
> > the EXIF data. How much work would it be to add this feature and would
> > it conflict with thunar's goal of being as lightweight as possible.
> > Right now, I am not looking to edit the metadata in thunar, just to
> > display and sort by it.
>
> I don't think there's currently a way to display directly EXIF metada in
> details columns, but they are available if you go to file properties
> (using right clic).
>
> Regards,

Yes. I knew about the right-click --> properties method. I want to be able to see the metadata in a list view for sorting reasons. I'm pretty sure you are right and there is no way, currently, to do this. I could probably use a good stand-alone photo manager, but it would be really nice if I could see this info directly in the file manager. Could I request this feature somewhere? If not, I would like to work on implementing it myself. I thought this might be a good way to start learning how to program more effectively. I took some classes in college, but I never really followed up and kept my skills up. I was just looking for info on where I should start looking in the code and/or on the website. Could this possibly be implemented through a plugin?

Like I said before, I don't want to conflict with Thunar's goal of being a lightweight and extremely fast file manager. So, if any of the developers have an opinion on this, I would really love to know.

Thank you,

Shawn Zier