[Thunar-dev] Developing a new app for Xfce

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jan 25 13:04:15 CET 2007

Gregory Bonik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to write some application (card game, for example) for my
> favorite desktop environment, but I haven't found any tutorial/example
> or recommendation how to do it (which libraries and functions to use
> etc.), there is only raw documentation on libxfcegui4 and friends.
>
> Does Xfce try to be "closed", i.e. to keep a limited number of
> applications for it? Or is the appearance of such tutorial just a
> question of time? I think that appearance of different apps written
> specially for Xfce should bring more popularity and usability to it, so
> it's no reason to keep Xfce closed. Especially now, when Xfce becomes a
> _real_ desktop environment with own file manager etc.
>
> Excuse me if this mail list is not appropriate place for this question.

This is a question for the xfce4-dev ML... in short: You don't need the
Xfce libraries to write a card game. GTK+ suffices. libexo might be
useful, but the other xfce libs probably do not contain anything that
will help you with the card game.

An xfce4-games project sounds like a nice idea. Maybe you should sign up
for a goodies account.