[Thunar-dev] Question about thunar-volman.

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jan 18 14:04:42 CET 2007

Alexandre Moreira wrote:
> Hello, Benny.
>
> I have not been able to test volman yet, buried in work for a few days
> now, but there is something I'd like to ask you if it is able to do,
> and if it is not, if it would be hard to implement or anything like
> it.
>
> I've seen that it can mount a usb storage device once plugged, if the
> user so decides. Now, would it unmount the device when it gets
> unplugged ? I just found that the most inconvenient part of the manual
> process, so I thought it would be a nice feature to have if it doesn't
> already has it (and if hal triggers enough events to make that
> possible).
>
> I mean, its hard to "forget the mount something" when you KNOW you
> want to use it... but forgetting to unmount it after usage is done is
> the most common scenario (at least to my fish-like memory).

Forgetting to unmount means to loose data in most cases, no matter if
"the device is being forgotten" or not.

I've read that HAL should clean up the mount of the device was removed
without unmount, but that doesn't seem to work. At least on my FreeBSD
box that caused trouble, messing up the system.

This is always the same issue, no matter if you're talking about Linux,
Windows, OS X, etc. File systems must be unmounted to avoid data loss.

BTW: This issue has nothing to do with thunar-volman or Thunar.