[Thunar-dev] thunar-volman 0.1.0

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jan 15 23:22:44 CET 2007

Mathias Brodala wrote:
>> ...and here's why: ;-)
>>
>> Up to 0.5.0, Thunar used pmount, gnome-mount or halmount, whatever was
>> available. However all these utilities behave differently, and of
>> course, they behave differently on various platforms. Esp. pmount is
>> tricky, since it doesn't use the HAL "Mount" method, which could confuse
>> HAL (and software using HAL -> Thunar, xfdesktop, ...). That's why I
>> added exo-mount, which uses HAL if possible (as said, HAL cannot mount
>> entries in fstab) and (hopefully) behaves the same on different
>> platforms (some platforms require special care, and exo-mount takes care
>> of that).
>
> Thanks for the explanation, but there’s still one point unclear to me: when HAL
> doesn’t use /etc/fstab, how will exo-mount know that it should take flashdisk
> instead of sda? And how will it know where to mount it? Where will exo-mount
> retrieve its information from?

It asks HAL for the device file path, then checks whether this device
file is listed in /etc/fstab, comparing by device no rather than by
path, and if so, uses plain old "mount". Otherwise HAL's Mount method
will be used.

Since there'll be no more RCs, it'd be nice if you could test the SVN
version so in case of a problem, we can fix that for the final release.