[Thunar-dev] thunar-volman 0.1.0

Mathias Brodala info at noctus.net
Mon Jan 15 23:16:33 CET 2007

Hello Benedikt.

Benedikt Meurer, 15.01.2007 23:11:
>>> And the latter does not work for me. *That* was the reason I asked. I was sure
>>> that I already described this, but anyway:
>>>
>>> I plug in my Hama flashdisk for example. Thanks to hal+udev I now have the
>>> following entries in /dev:
>>>
>>>   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-01-15 22:46 /dev/flashdisk -> sda
>>>   brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 0 2007-01-15 22:46 sda
>>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> So, what will thunar-volman do? Will it show/mount the device as sda or flashdisk?
>> That seems to be a rather old version of Thunar. Update to the latest
>> SVN version, that should fix the problem.

I’m using version 0.5.0rc2 here and will have to wait until you release Xfce 4.4
final which in turn then will reach my repository and my system. I’m using SVN
versions only for testing and bug squashing.

> ...and here's why: ;-)
>
> Up to 0.5.0, Thunar used pmount, gnome-mount or halmount, whatever was
> available. However all these utilities behave differently, and of
> course, they behave differently on various platforms. Esp. pmount is
> tricky, since it doesn't use the HAL "Mount" method, which could confuse
> HAL (and software using HAL -> Thunar, xfdesktop, ...). That's why I
> added exo-mount, which uses HAL if possible (as said, HAL cannot mount
> entries in fstab) and (hopefully) behaves the same on different
> platforms (some platforms require special care, and exo-mount takes care
> of that).

Thanks for the explanation, but there’s still one point unclear to me: when HAL
doesn’t use /etc/fstab, how will exo-mount know that it should take flashdisk
instead of sda? And how will it know where to mount it? Where will exo-mount
retrieve its information from?

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules