[Thunar-dev] Some ideas :)

"François K." daitheflu at free.fr
Tue Feb 6 17:18:55 CET 2007

Hi :)

Mike Massonnet a écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:29:21AM +0100, daitheflu at free.fr wrote:
>
>> Sure I know it, but I think the "vista bar" would be much more easy-to-use.
>>

> The what?! O_o  Hey, be polite will you?

Dude, I don't know if you were joking or what but be open-minded,
everything isn't bad in Windows. There are also good ideas that don't
come from free softwares.

>> Now you have either to learn a shortcut, type it and then type the path (the
>> VERY good thing is the auto-completition thing).
>> My idea is to have something similar to the Ctrl+L shortcut in the location bar
>> where words would be clickable :)
>>

> You can switch to the location bar in this case.  Shortcuts will still
> remain the sames, but you will be able to triple click the address bar
> and type whatever location you had like to go.
>

>> Features like relative pathes and ~ are already supported which is very very
>> useful.
>>

>> Selon David Keogh <davekeogh at shaw.ca>:
>>

>>> I think you misunderstood what he was describing. The location bar in Vista
>>> basically acts like both of Thunar's location selecters at once. If you
>>> click on one of the labels, it acts as a button; or if you click in empty
>>> space it acts as a field. Here's a screenshot that kind of demonstrates it:
>>> http://www.dx21.com/HOME/ARTICLES/P2P/WinV_IMAGES/Exp_AddressBar.PNG
>>>

> Oh, ugly.  I don't see the need for this since you can easily switch
> between "Tree pane" (Ctrl+T) and "Bookmark pane" (Ctrl+B).  Yes, it's
> another shortcut to learn, I hope you won't hyperventilate.

Dude, I know shortcuts, but shortcuts ARE NOT user-friendly. Do you
really think that someone who is discovering XFCE and Thunar is going to
read the whole doc and learn every shortcut ? I'm just trying to make it
as easy as possible :)
If we want to make people use anything else than M$, we have to make it
at least as easy to use (I mean, for *everyone*), and not only for
computer addicts ;)

Moreover, the drop down thing in the toolbar is not the first thing I'm
looking for. I'm mostly speaking about the ability to click on the bar
when it display the path.
Read my first email I explained it (maybe badly :-/ - in that case, just
tell me, I'll try to re-explain it :) )

> I'm pretty sure that he's trying to say that a hybrid location
> selector would be a really cool feature. I fully agree...

You got it ;) That's what I'm trying to say !

> Maybe something like this:
>
> [home ()] [harold ()]
>
> where () is a selectbox that lists all directories in the same
> location where the current user has access to...

As I said, this is not the first thing I'm looking for. But it can also
be a very good thing. It's very useful, just give it a try if you have
the opportunity (I won't say chance ;o) ) to use Vista someday.

I maintain that the hybrid toolbar would be great :p

What about the copy manager ? Any thought on it ?

Cheers, and thanks for reading and taking time thinking about those
small ideas :)
- Fr.