[Thunar-dev] Thunar-thumbnailers updated

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 5 21:55:33 CET 2007

Erlend Davidson wrote:
>>> I have updated thunar-thumbnailers
>>> (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar-plugins/thunar-thumbnailers) in
>>> svn.  I've added grace project file thumbnailing.  It now installs
>>> mimetypes for digital camera raw files, and for .agr grace project files.
>>>
>>> Everything works smoothly here, but could people please test it?  If
>>> there are no objections I'll make a release.
>>>
>> Looks good. Just one minor thingy: How about installing only a single
>> mime definition file thunar-thumbnailers.xml unconditionally?
> Originally that's what I thought: it would definitely make maintenance
> easier in the long run.  But then should I be installing a mimetype for
> files when I'm not thumbnailing that type of file?

Having additional mime types doesn't hurt. Restricting to the mime types
you install thumbnailers for looks wrong to me.

> Is there a page in the documentation explaining what formats thunar can
> thumbnail by default (i.e. without thunar-thumbnailers) and what their
> dependencies are?  Users won't realise they need totem for video
> thumbnails to work.  It would also help me think of thumbnailers to
> implement in thunar-thumbnailers.
>
> There's quite a nice video thumbnailer using mplayer, which I hope to
> include:
> http://me2030581.googlepages.com/

Basically all supported GNOME thumbnailers. I doubt that there's a
complete list of these. Nevertheless installing a video thumbnailer
won't hurt. Thunar will use that instead of the GNOME fallback.