[Thunar-dev] Fuse, scripts and thunar

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:10:25 CEST 2007

On 8/30/07, Erlend Davidson <E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Erlend Davidson wrote:
> > fusesmb is a nice simple example since it requires no configuration. If
> > the fusesmb binary is found in the path a device icon could appear with
> > "Windows Shares" written on it, so that when the user clicks it a script
> > is run which executes fusesmb (like my script before) and then thunar
> > navigates to that directory.
> >
> > These scripts could either be distributed with thunar (enable/disabled
> > by the user) or via a project in the same way as thunar-thumbnailers.
> >
> > Maybe it would be better to stick it in the xfce-places panel plugin as
> > a test, just to see how it works?
> I'm currently writing a mock-up of this in the panel places menu.  It
> isn't particularly difficult to do, although it does feel a little like
> a hack.  Officially should this be handled by thunar-vfs, and a new
> |THUNAR_VFS_VOLUME_KIND_SAMBA be made to handle it just like the other
> volumes?

I'm not sure entirely, but Benny has talked about adding network share
browsing - adding mounting isn't hard, it's the browsing that most
users miss. I'm fairly certain that Benny would like this to be at
least theoretically cross OS and cross FS.

I infer by Benny's silence of late that he is on an Xfce break. We'll
have to wait till he returns to see the details.

> Thanks,
>
> Erlend

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson