[Thunar-dev] samba

Jean-Philippe Guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sun Sep 17 11:49:41 CEST 2006

Hi,

Implementing SMB access/browsing at "System" level rather than "Desktop"
level, is imho the good approach. Fuse is probably the best way to
handle this. Some weeks ago, I started coding an utility called
Fusesmbtool : a frontend to configure/mount Fusesmb. It's not finished
nor complete, but it works. It's available for Zenwalk here :
http://download.zenwalk.org/i486/current/packages/ap/fusesmb-0.8.5-i486-1z30.tgz

Maybe an idea would be to let Thunar invoke such a configuration dialog?
Maybe Thunar could become a frontend to Fusesmb configuration and mounting ?

Fusesmb is the right technology to handle SMB browsing in Linux, but to
be serious : it's just a good mechanism, not a tool for end users.

Telling a user to use fusesmb rather than Thunar to browse SMB looks
like telling him to use "cd" and "ls" instead of Thunar to browse files
! It certainly work :)

Cheers

JP