[Thunar-dev] Feature request: superuser mode

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Sep 1 17:36:46 CEST 2006

tomás pollak wrote:
> Perhaps a better way to integrate this into Thunar is that the "Edit
> as Root" option only appeared _if_ you're trying to open a file which
> you don't have access to. I mean, there's no point in "Editing as
> Root" any file in your home folder, right?

That'd need to be done as thunar plugin then.

> Here's another thought. We could also not use "Edit as Root", but just
> opening a file which you don't have write access to could pop up a
> warning. Then the user could select the option of opening the file as
> a normal user (if he has read access) or "Open as Root", where he gets
> to put in the admin password with which he gets write access.

To avoid popping up the stupid question too often, we'll need some kind
of crystalball to be able to reliably tell whether the user just wants
to view the contents of say xorg.conf or intends to modify it. Since
this usually only applies to text files, it'd probably make sense to
integrate a "save as root" into the text editor instead.

But besides that: How often do people really need to edit a file as root
(people = users)?