[Thunar-dev] Feature request: superuser mode

tomás pollak tomaspollak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 17:03:07 CEST 2006

> That could easily be added as desktop action to mousepad.desktop, i.e.
> append the following text to mousepad.desktop:
>
> ----
> Actions=Edit As Root;
>
> [Desktop Action Edit As Root]
> Exec=sudo mousepad %f
> Name=Edit as root
> ----
> Benedikt

Perhaps a better way to integrate this into Thunar is that the "Edit
as Root" option only appeared _if_ you're trying to open a file which
you don't have access to. I mean, there's no point in "Editing as
Root" any file in your home folder, right?

Here's another thought. We could also not use "Edit as Root", but just
opening a file which you don't have write access to could pop up a
warning. Then the user could select the option of opening the file as
a normal user (if he has read access) or "Open as Root", where he gets
to put in the admin password with which he gets write access.

Regards,
Tomas