[Thunar-dev] using inotify in thunar?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun May 21 12:41:21 CEST 2006

Björn Martensen wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Björn,

> I heard that gamin isn't developed anymore, since all it does is pretty
> much the same as inotify which is used by the kernel (or so ;) I didn't
> completely follow that..) and fam would be only required for watching
> nfs or such.
> So my question is, if thunar is to use inotify too in the future and
> drop the "dependency" of fam.
>
> Perhaps there is something I misunderstood about all this, but that's
> what some people in #archlinux and the arch forums said, so if that's
> wrong, please feel free to explain the real deal ;)

inotify is Linux-only and will remain Linux-only, so why should it be
supported in Thunar? Thunar has nothing to do with Linux. Linux is just
one of the supported platforms. Perhaps in two, three years when inotify
is dropped and replaced by a more generic event interface that has wider
support among platforms, we may support that natively. Until then we'll
use FAM/Gamin which supports a lot of platforms.