[Thunar-dev] Summer of Code Proposal.

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu May 4 17:25:29 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>   > It should be configurable and probably also use HAL on Linux to detect
>>audio cds and such, that are not supported by the volume manager. It
>>should implement the XDG autostart spec (the autoopen part, the
>>autostart part itself is implemented by xfce4-session).
>
> Benedikt, what is your opinion on gnome-volume-manager which does these
> things now? Anything wrong with it besides relying on gnome libs and not
> working on FreeBSD afaik? This is enough for us not to use it I know,
> but I am curious if you see other problems with it.

Maybe I'm too picky, but my main problem with gvm is the codebase. Other
than that, as Brian demonstrated, it's pretty easy to start with a
portable automount daemon. The Linux version could then use HAL in
addition to ThunarVfsVolumeManager, to also autodetect devices that
cannot be interpreted as volumes.