[Thunar-dev] [Thunar-workers] Fallback Icons in Thunar with OpenBox on Gentoo

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu May 4 09:30:01 CEST 2006

Christopher Harrison wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Christopher,

The thunar-workers mailinglist is only for change notifications from the
Wiki. Please use the thunar-dev mailinglist for questions.

> I'm having a problem with Thunar running under OpenBox - so much so that
> I'm beginning to wish I installed XFCE from the start! Anyway, I digress
> - I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I can't find a
> solution to my problem and it's rather irritating.
> Basically Thunar is assigning the fallback icon to every item (files,
> directories, etc.). Now, I saw in your Wiki FAQ that this is usually
> down to one of two things: no XSETTINGS manager or bad icons. When I
> emerged Thunar, it included xfce-mcs-manager as one of its dependencies
> (IIRC); however, running this when starting X doesn't have any effect.
> So, I'm left with the bad icon theory... The problem with this is that
> OpenBox doesn't include anything to change the icon theme because, well,
> it's just a menu! I did try emerging the XFCE icon theme - it didn't
> work - I would assume that this isn't enough and it somehow needs to be
> "assigned" in some configuration file. How does one do this? (Sorry: I
> realise this isn't a Thunar issue, per sé.) I don't want to emerge XFCE
> or Gnome just for an icon theme chooser.
>
> If this isn't the reason; are there any further suggestions?

Install xfce-mcs-plugins, then run xfce-mcs-manager on startup. Use
xfce-settings-show ui to open the "User interface" settings and select
an icon theme (default is hicolor, which does not contain any mime
icons, thats why you see the fallback icon).