[Thunar-dev] automount

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Mar 14 15:11:16 CET 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>>The reason to not auto-mount in Thunar is simply that you can have any
>>number of Thunar instances running at the same time, and all of them
>>would try to mount the media. That's why auto-mounting in Thunar should
>>be done as a daemon (linked to thunar-vfs), which simply mounts the new
>>volumes reported by the ThunarVfsVolumeManager. If anybody wants to
>>start work on this, feel free to do so.
>
> so if such a daemon ran automount would be done? Is this not a UI policy
> decision but due to the multiple instances issue?

The multiple instances thing is not the only reason, but the main
technical reason, why it doesn't make sense. The daemon solution will
make things easier to maintain, than an automount in Thunar.

>>Concerning the refresh problem: Looks like Thunar is not built with
>>Gamin support or Gamin is not running.
>
> gamin works ok in other dirs. This problem only appears under /media/dir
> but given that remove/insert media makes it unmounted again that dir
> does not even exist anymore so there's nothing to show.
> That's why I said it was confusing :) .All files there, remove stick,
> put it back without changing the location in thunar and they do not show up.

Works fine here (FAM on FreeBSD): Enter /mnt/dvd, eject CD-ROM, reinsert
CD-ROM, mount -> files reappear in Thunar. So this is either a general
Gamin bug, a bug in the inotify Gamin backend or a general inotify bug.
Can you try with FAM to verify?