[Thunar-dev] Inconsistent 'Open with' behaviour

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Mar 11 15:43:10 CET 2006

Bernhard Walle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if I choose context menu -> open with -> (predefined application),
> Thunar only opens that current file with this application and leaves
> the default unchanged. However, when I choose 'Other application' in
> the same context menu, it changes the global default.
>
> I think this behaviour is confusing. I would like to let the global
> default untouched. If the global default should be changed, the
> "Properties" dialog can be used.

The additional [Open With "XXX"] items in the menu are included so users
can easily open a file with a non-default application.

The chooser dialog is used to change the default application, which can
be done from the file context menu, using the [Open With Other
Application] item, or from the file properties dialog.

So it is indeed consistent: Whenever you open the chooser dialog and
confirm, the default application is changed. And when you select one of
the [Open With "XXX"] items from the context menu, the file will opened
with said application, but the default application won't be changed.