[Thunar-dev] Some minor thingies...

Yo'av Moshe bjesus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:36:07 CET 2006

I think this idea rocks.

The normal solution most applications use - the black line that shows
wheter you're draging an object into or below another object, is nice,
but can confuse and is sometimes hard to do (with a jagged mouse,
e.g.).

The hovering solution is the best, and can take Thunar a step further
other common file managers.

A user chooses folder A this is inside folder B, and want to move it
into D, a folder in the sidepane. He drags A into D, and on the moment
his mouse is hovering D, the content of D is shown on the main pane.
He puts it there, and Thunar goes back to the previeus view.

If he wants to drag A into the sidepane, to add it as a shortcut, he
just leaves it anywhere in the sidepane. He shouldn't care seeing D in
the main pane for a few moments.

I hope you got the idea - it may sound complex, but I think it can put
some smiles on Thunar new users, giving them options without confusing
them.

Yo'av.

On 3/8/06, Peter <hpklett at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Harold Aling wrote:
>

> > Doug Whiteley wrote:

> >>I would hazard a guess that that is the expected behaviour, because otherwise how would you add a favorite if the favorite side pane was full? There would be no empty space to drop the desired new favorite onto.
> >>

> > There can be a visual difference between dropping something between or
> > on current favorites... Where have I seen this before?
>
> This is perfectly possible, and has been done plenty of times.  However,
> it's definitely not easy to do.  Also, If I understand correctly, Thunar
> is to be an easy-to-use file manager, and this difference is definitely
> a subtlety that many people will be confused by.  Besides that, master
> mousemanship should never be a requirement to the use of a program.
>
> This is an interesting point, however, and it prompts me to dig up an
> old coffin: the ability to change directories during drag'n'drop by
> "hovering".  All this crazy stuff about snapping back the original
> directory after dropping, opening new windows etc. are just confusing
> toys.  If hovering just changes the directory for the current window
> until instructed otherwise, then I think that's constructive behavior.
> It's also consistent with the current pathbar behavior.  Right now the
> only way to dnd between "far away" directories is to open a new window.
> With simple hovering, you've still got that option.  There's my rant,
> and I feel like the whole idea has been rejected because somebody else
> got cute.  With so many different implementations, "expected" behavior
> is almost non-existent.

Yo'av Moshe
http://www.PlaceOnEarth.org