[Thunar-dev] Some minor thingies...

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 22:21:54 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:

> Doug Whiteley wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:25:07 -0300
>>"Rodrigo Coacci" <rcoacci at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to do DnD on a Favorite? Because with my last SVN version,
>>>when I tryed to drag a folder into a favorite (expecting it to cp/mv into
>>>it) it just created another Favorite... I don't know if this is the expected
>>>behavior, but I think it's not very much intuitive....
>>>

>>I would hazard a guess that that is the expected behaviour, because otherwise how would you add a favorite if the favorite side pane was full? There would be no empty space to drop the desired new favorite onto.
>>

> There can be a visual difference between dropping something between or
> on current favorites... Where have I seen this before?

This is perfectly possible, and has been done plenty of times.  However,
it's definitely not easy to do.  Also, If I understand correctly, Thunar
is to be an easy-to-use file manager, and this difference is definitely
a subtlety that many people will be confused by.  Besides that, master
mousemanship should never be a requirement to the use of a program.

This is an interesting point, however, and it prompts me to dig up an
old coffin: the ability to change directories during drag'n'drop by
"hovering".  All this crazy stuff about snapping back the original
directory after dropping, opening new windows etc. are just confusing
toys.  If hovering just changes the directory for the current window
until instructed otherwise, then I think that's constructive behavior.
It's also consistent with the current pathbar behavior.  Right now the
only way to dnd between "far away" directories is to open a new window.
With simple hovering, you've still got that option.  There's my rant,
and I feel like the whole idea has been rejected because somebody else
got cute.  With so many different implementations, "expected" behavior
is almost non-existent.