[Thunar-dev] Recent document support

Aaron Fineman aaronf0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 23:09:43 CEST 2006

On 6/28/06, Jannis Pohlmann <info at sten-net.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:05:09 -0400, Aaron Fineman wrote:
> > On 6/28/06, Stephan Arts <psybsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I wanted to submit a feature request for this, but i do not know if
> > > this is a thunar-, thunar-plugin-, libexo-feature or none/all of the
> > > above.
> > >
> > > I would like to see an interface to find out which documents have
> > > been opened recently.
> > >
> > > I have found a gnome-discussion about this:
> > >
> > > http://live.gnome.org/RecentFilesAndBookmarks
> > >
> > > and there is a freedesktop-spec for it:
> > > http://standards.freedesktop.org/recent-file-spec/recent-file-spec-latest.html
> > >
> > > Is it something to put on the roadmap for Thunar?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Stephan
>
> > i would say thats more a xfce, xfdesktop menu type thing that anyone
> > can access, but just my 2.53 cents...
>
> Yes, this is something which could be used a) in the menu and b) in a
> documents:// special URI handled by a Thunar plugin (in the future).
>
> Concerning the menu, some already might know that I plan to implement
> the XDG menu spec properly after 4.4. This also includes a panel plugin
> as an alternative (or replacement?) for the current Xfce menu. This
> menu widget might include recently opened Documents, recently started
> Apps and even a "Run..."-like command input field.
>
> Regards,
> Jannis

personally, i would advise against packing input widgets into the
menu. it sounds like a good idea, but it really slows it down on older
computers. on the other hand, an option to use the default light menu,
or the new fancy pimped out one would fix that.

also, in recently opened documents, i would include websites, but that
might be a problem intergrating with every browser in existance. is
there an easy way to do that?