[Thunar-dev] small feature requests

Roberto Pariset robdebian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 12:42:28 CEST 2006

Martin Hauser wrote:
> Who says it must be gnome libs? Still, there may be a few people around
> who like typing an 80 char line for scp every time they aiming copy a
> few files to a remote location... i'm not one of those. I agree
> gnome-vfs is bad, as far as i have seen it's not something a
> filemanager like thunar should build upon. But that doesn't stop anyone
> from getting this included in thunar otherwise, does it? I think it
> would be really nice if thunar could handle scp,sftp,ftp and maybe
> webdav, guess would make life a step more easier.

Hehe :) To be honest, I am quite used to use the shell when it comes to ftp
(lftp rox0r!) and ssh. That's also because there's no nice gui that allows
you to do that. I have been a Gnome user for a while in the past, and I
really found their ftp interface unflexible and limitated (just like all
the rest, IMHO).
If Thunar were to implement this, I really believe that a SendTo menu would
make it real easy. However, it's just for sending. To receive... well, I
guess a dual fs view, like mc, could be helpful, to move files between
different locations. So the side pane should implement something like Icon
View as well. Maybe it's too much.
Probably a SendTo option implemented as plugin, which sends some files to
an external app that is in charge of remote transfers would be the cleanest
solution. Basically, something like thunar-archive-plugin.

Greets,
Rob