[Thunar-dev] future thunar plans?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jun 14 00:06:58 CEST 2006

Stefan Stuhr wrote:
>>[...] Furtheron, the memory overhead is noticable (5MB
>>unshared data for xfdesktop is not that bad, but that's atleast 4MB that
>>could be saved if Thunar manages the desktop itself, 1MB will probably
>>be required for the XDG menu integration).
>>
>>Afterall, you'll need to take into account that the desktop icon support
>>in xfdesktop is a temporary solution, because we agreed that it was not
>>possible to add that for Thunar 1.0.
>
> Will the desktop icon support in Thunar support the same things that Xfdesktop SVN currently supports?
>       * No icons; not able to get focus; still managing and drawing
>         desktop; mode?

Either that, or plain xfdesktop will be kept around.

>       * Icons for minimized windows mode?

Maybe as "desktop applet", but definitly not as part of the default file
manager.

>       * All the same background drawing preferences (gradient, image
>         style, image list, image brightness)?

Yep.

>       * You mention XDG menu integration. Does that mean that the Thunar
>         desktop will have an XDG right click menu?

With 4.6, we'll hopefully have a nice XDG menu interface as part of one
of the core libraries, which can then be used by Thunar and xfce4-panel
to generate the menus. Jannis wanted to work on this.