[Thunar-dev] Recent document support

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jul 31 19:29:53 CEST 2006

Erlend Davidson wrote:
> I think metatracker is another implementation of tagging?  It apparently
> has no problem with scalability.
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker

Ehm, did you ever tried to launch that? It takes around 2-3 minutes to
start here while the index contains only parts of my home dir. I dunno
what you'd call a scalability problem, but atleast in my world, that is
a scalability problem.

Besides that the Keywords mechanism (the tagging) is not really perfect
for a file manager.

> Here's an discussion on tagged filesystems in linux:
> http://digg.com/linux_unix/WinFS-like_Storage_for_Linux

Well, it isn't usable as long as it depends on Linux (or Windows or any
other single-OS solution).

> and GLScube:
> http://www.glscube.org/

Yep, seen that in the news, but didn't look into this yet.