[Thunar-dev] Recent document support

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 30 23:23:59 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Stephan Arts wrote:
>
>> I wanted to submit a feature request for this, but i do not know if
>> this is a thunar-, thunar-plugin-, libexo-feature or none/all of the
>> above.
>>
>> I would like to see an interface to find out which documents have been
>> opened recently.
>>
>> I have found a gnome-discussion about this:
>>
>> http://live.gnome.org/RecentFilesAndBookmarks
>>
>> and there is a freedesktop-spec for it:
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/recent-file-spec/recent-file-spec-latest.html
>>
>> Is it something to put on the roadmap for Thunar?
>>

> Well, I've cooked a patch to add support to display Recent Files in
> Thunar (using the 'recently-used:'-URI). Dunno if its something that
> should be kept. It's based on the current standard, but can be updated
> to use XBEL later.
>

>> regards,
>> Stephan
>>

> Benedikt
>
> PS: I've also an 5-month old patch to add leaftag support, which I could
> update to the latest Thunar version with some effort, if there's
> interest (would add a 'tag:' filesystem with the list of current tags,
> and a list of files for each tag). The idea was to replace the
> emblem-mechanism with tags (tags have an associated image). In general I
> think this would be very useful, but unfortunately leaftag doesn't scale
> very well (as mentioned before) and it seems that leaftag is mostly dead
> (nearly no SVN activity).

Would the Leaftag functionality be a plugin, so that the slow-down is
optional?  Looking at the Leaftag blog
(http://www.chipx86.com/blog/tag/leaftag) the developer mentions (in
Feburary) lack of time and moving Leaftag to a dedicated server - AFAIK
it hasn't happened yet.

The slow-down with scaling is a real pity - a tagging filesystem would
be excellent for linux.