[Thunar-dev] user interface ideas

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 23 15:52:16 CEST 2006

DINH Viêt Hoà wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote :
>

>> I guess you're talking about typeahead in GtkTreeView and ExoIconView.
>> That's a different approach. Filtering would show only the matching
>> files/folders.
>>

> I find this typeahead unuseable ...
> and filtering could match some words in the middle of the name.

>>> Yes!  I very much agree with this - it's the main reason I used Rox for
>>> so long.  People don't remember the exact filename and often don't
>>> remember the case of the first letter.
>>>
>> As said, there's MiscCaseSensitive. I could probably change the
>> default
>> to FALSE. Dunno.
>>

> I guess that could be interesting.
>

>>> I'd quite like it to be easier to change between the Location Selector
>>> between the pathbar and toolbar styles - perhaps if you roll the
>>> mouse-wheel over it then it switches between being a pathbar and a
>>> toolbar.  This is useful when you want to copy and paste the path of the
>>> directory you are in.
>>>
>> Well, Ctrl+L will always focus the location selector (pops up a dialog
>> in pathbar mode).
>>

> maybe in pathbar mode, it could switch temporarly to location selector
> so that it won't raise a dialog box.

Hmm, that might confuse users - especially new ones - why does it do
this sometimes, and that other-times?  I still think using the
mouse-wheel is a good idea - Xfce is the first desktop environment which
(out of the box) makes good use of the mouse-wheel (e.g. switching
workspacing, rolling-up windows).  Again though there is a risk of
confusing users (i.e. why did the location selector just change and how
do I get it back?)