[Thunar-dev] translations through rosetta

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:19:45 CET 2006

> If this is indeed easier for (most/many) translators, it sounds like
> something that would benefit all Xfce modules.

I proposed to try it with thunar as it is mostly independent of the rest
of xfce, while the people managing translations for it are the same I
think. If this turnes out to be successful then definitely the whole
xfce could benefit.

> How would this work in practice? Is rosetta available outside Ubuntu?

I wanted to try it myself but the rosetta policy is they only import po
files if upstream agrees, so I couldn't play around with thunar
translations and them come here with more details. If in principle
Daichi and other translators show interest the rosetta/launchpad people
are open to introducing the team to the process or answer questions
which may arise. What needs to be done for each interested translator
is creating a launchpad account and then getting accepted in the
specific locale's translation team which manages the rest of software
for that language in rosetta.

At this point rosetta is not free software and is only available on
canonical's launchpad.net and primarily used for ubuntu. The FAQ has
more details on why this should not cause _too_ much worry.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RosettaFAQ

I quote the relevant parts below

#

Is Rosetta Open/Free Software?

     *

       No, Rosetta is not Open or Free Software at the moment. Rosetta
will become open source sometime in the future but we don't have a date,
although some parts of the Launchpad have already been released under
the GPL by Canonical Ltd.

#

If Rosetta isn't free, how are the translations submitted to the system
licenced?

     *

       Even if Rosetta isn't Free Software at this time, the
translations created in and uploaded into Rosetta will be licenced under
the same licence as the software. By using Rosetta, you give permission
to Canonical Ltd. to publish those translations under the same licence
as the software they belong to.

#

What happens if Rosetta closes? Will the translations be lost?

     *

       One of the main features of Rosetta is the ability to handle PO
files easily. All the translations in the system can be exported and
editted in a PO editor such as PoEdit, KBabel or GTranslator. You will
be able to continue your work outside Rosetta.