[Thunar-dev] why move takes so long

hernux hernux at etherac.com.ar
Fri Jan 13 15:15:44 CET 2006

You may be right, this way may be safer, but the cost is too high..
whenever I need to move a big file, and I see the time it will take to
thunar to move it, I just cancel it and make an mv command.. so, the
safe metodo is thrown away.

In the other hand, I can't find any reason why cp would be safer than
mv... they work just the same.. the only difference is that mv is not
really coping, and that de original file is not anymore at the end...
so.. if you want to avoid overriding, in both cases you need the -i
param... and you can always check the existence of files to be
overwritten before calling mv.

I haven't seen the code, but I guess that he is not calling system cp/mv
commands.. so, implementation may be different from what I said before..
but any case.. I think that if the problem with move is the safety, then
the rename function should be changed, cause, after all, renaming and
moving are the same..  :-)

Any way, Benedikt already said that "this will be fixed before the
release", so, I think that he is saying that its not a feature to copy
instead of moving.

cheers,
Hernán