[Thunar-dev] how to disable thumbnails

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Jan 12 19:49:40 CET 2006

hernux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any way to disable the auto generation of thumbnails for movies?
> I think that a thumbnail for a movie is very useless, specially if the
> program takes the first frame, as it's always a blank screen or a
> picture that doesn't identify the movie itself, so, thumnails are all
> the same, and it takes too much time to create them.  When I open a
> folder with ten or more movies, it takes several minutes to it, to
> create the thumbs.. during that time, the screen reloads every while,
> and I can't even rename a file, as it exits edit mode before reloading
> the screen.
>
> any way, is there a way to disable this option? or where can I change
> the list of file types / mime types that thunar is generating thumbs (I
> mean, if its handcoded).

There's currently no way to disable thumbnailing (to be fixed soon).

Thunar uses GdkPixbuf loaders to generate thumbnails, and (if compiled
with gconf) also uses the registered GNOME thumbnailers. The movie
thumbnailer is probably the one installed by totem. You can use
gconf-editor or gconf-tool to disable GNOME thumbnailers (don't remember
the key though).

> Thanx,
> Hernux

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/