[Thunar-dev] Icon overlays

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Feb 27 01:42:04 CET 2006

Peter wrote:
> What if your IDE consists of Thunar, Terminal, and Mousepad (Firefox for
> docs)?

My IDE is Terminal, vim and Firefox, which works pretty well. I have
seen (and used) TSVN, and I wasn't really happy with it. It's less
powerful than svn command line tool (atleast it takes more effort to
perform certain actions) and it's less comfortable than Subclipse, so
from my POV it's pretty useless after all.

> I think this kind of plugin arch was hashed over, and was
> determined to be discussed once 2.x comes in view (correct me if I'm
> wrong).  I agree with this accessment.  Xfce needs Thunar sooner than
> later, and not botched.  Once the "right way" is determined, however, I
> believe that it should be as powerful as possible.  This would keep
> Thunar both light and capable, similar to the idea of Firefox.

I think I can add a way for an extension to add additional emblems using
thunarx. But the plugin will be responsible to not block the GUI then
(i.e. schedule the loading in a different thread, then emit "changed" on
the file and provide the data).