[Thunar-dev] Icon overlays

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:33:10 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>Pat Carr wrote:
>

>>Hello folks,
>>
>>   I have been using TortoiseSVN for over a year now, and it seems like
>>the only app I enjoy using on Windows, that I can't have in Linux. I
>>have been looking around for a project like that but so far I found none
>>  similar to TSVN. It blends file management and source control with
>>icon overlays to show the state of the files (up-to-date, modified,
>>etc). Also adds context menus to the files/dirs to diff, commit, merge etc.
>>   Thunar is looking pretty damn good, Good Job Benny(TM). So I thought
>>of this feature of icon overlays as an extension to Thunar, but reading
>>over the docs and code for the extension API, I fail to see where/how
>>this could be added. Is it possible now and I'm just blind and couldn't
>>see it? Is this something worth adding for the future?
>>

>Right now it's not possible. It could be added to thunarx, probably in
>the same way it is done in Nautilus, but that would cause too much
>trouble (in Nautilus this expected to be done asynchronously, which is
>both tricky for the file manager and even more problematic for the
>plugin writer). But since determining the proper emblems from the SVN
>sandbox, doing it synchronously may block the GUI for some time.
>
>My preferred way would be to allow extensions to hook into thunar-vfs
>(-> thunar_vfs_info_new_internal to be exact) and provide additional
>information about the file. But this is also somewhat tricky.
>
>Personally, I'm not a fan of CVS/SVN integration in a file manager. IMHO
>it makes more sense to integrate it into the IDE (i.e. Eclipse is a good
>example here).

What if your IDE consists of Thunar, Terminal, and Mousepad (Firefox for
docs)?  I think this kind of plugin arch was hashed over, and was
determined to be discussed once 2.x comes in view (correct me if I'm
wrong).  I agree with this accessment.  Xfce needs Thunar sooner than
later, and not botched.  Once the "right way" is determined, however, I
believe that it should be as powerful as possible.  This would keep
Thunar both light and capable, similar to the idea of Firefox.

P.S. Hopefully it'll be a little harder to write plugins for Thunar than
FF, as FF has a lot of really bad ones ;).