[Thunar-dev] Thunar + Hal

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Feb 15 00:20:37 CET 2006

Rodrigo Coacci wrote:
> Well first I have to say thanks for the config summary after
> ./configure, it's very useful for us testers, so we can easily know if
> something is missing or not.
> Thunar+hal worked for me too (Arch linux system running gnome), but with
> some caveats. When I inserted a CD it showed up (with label!) on side
> panel, but:
>
> * When I asked it to mount it told me "Failed to determine the mount
> point for /dev/hdd." but when I double clicked the icon it correctly
> entered my cd mounting dir (as configured in fstab), with the cd mounted;
>
> * After, when I tryed to eject it, again error: "eject: unable to open
> `/dev/hdd'."
> But Thunar seems to umount the CD anyway (although not ejected it).
>
> So aparently Thunar is sending the commands to HAL but seems to have a
> odd answer from it. Could it be that Gnome (and it's volume manager) are
> messing all up?

The "Failed to determine mount..." message is generated by Thunar. It
basicly says, that there's no entry for /dev/hdd in /proc/mounts, even
tho the mount command (either pmount-hal or plain mount) said that it
was successfully mounted. Since /proc/mounts is maintained by the
kernel, it seems that your mount command returns success even tho the
mount wasn't successfull.

The "eject: un..." message is generated by the eject program. Thunar
just invokes eject with the device file reported by HAL. Is /dev/hdd
correct (otherwise HAL would have reported an invalid device file)?

One thing I noticed: The mount state reported by HAL is not always
correct, it sometimes forget to send the DevicePropertyModified signal
when the mount state of a volume changes, which confuses Thunar (I added
some work-arounds, but only for the case that Thunar mounts/unmounts the
volume). This way, gvm may indeed confuse Thunar if it mounts a volume
and HAL doesn't tell Thunar that the volume is mounted now.