[Thunar-dev] thunar icons, and make-thunarx-alias.pl errors

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Feb 14 17:24:27 CET 2006

Mikko Linnalo wrote:
> Excuse my newbie guestion(s), but can somebody lay some light on how to
> do this? I have no idea how to compile thunar with HAL support, and I
> don't have a clue is my hald running properly or not. I still like to
> contribute by using and testing the latest builds. I'm just doing a
> check out from SVN and compiling everything as is (sh autogen.sh -->
> make -- make install)
>
> I'm using both Xfce and Thunar from SVN, automount isn't working even
> with Nautilus (while I'm in Xfce). When I switch to Gnome, Nautilus
> automounting works but Thunar does nothing.

Nautilus doesn't automount anything. That's done by
gnome-volume-manager, which is most probably not started in your Xfce
session (not that I'd recommend its usage).

> While in Xfce, I checked
> that hald is running and hal-device-manager notices when I insert/eject
> my cd-rom. Still I think that my hald is not running "properly", just
> don't know what properly means :(

Honestly, right now I don't know what "properly" means in context of HAL
either.

Thunar now uses the same semantics as gnome-vfs does, and it works fine
for my Ubuntu/Debian test box, and so I'd assume that hald works
properly in Debian and Ubuntu, but I guess "properly" has a different
meaning, depending on the Linux distribution.

> hal version is 0.5.3 and I have libhal1, libhal-storage-1 and
> libhal-storage-dev installed. Ubuntu breezy on x86

Does it display removable media in the shortcuts pane?