[Thunar-dev] Thunar launcher does not behave as I think it should ?! Update One

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Dec 31 19:44:39 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> Now If I open a tool like gftp or simply browse with my terminal in my
>> desktop directory. I see all those strange file name's by the *.desktop.
>> That don't make sens at all things like "set multiplier.desktop" for a
>> launcer that starts a music program and stuff like that. I now how this
>> comes and it would be nice to have a file name entry in the launcher editor.
>
> Sorry, but why don't you think about the names of .desktop files before
> creating them? That would save you the rename step as well. Surely more
> effective.

I did this, but I did not know that changing the name with the desktop
tools will not change the file name. I just renamed and copied existing
 launchers. And now all *.desktop items are out of sync. I think It will
increase usability if this could not happens or that it is easily fixed.
It is a bit of a mess to manually find out with launchers connects to
with file name you have to open them all manually and check the name of
the file and compare them to the name entry.

>>> (b) Why would you want to replace the nice and easy to use icon selector
>>> with an ugly entry box? You may have missed the Thunar/Xfce motto "Keep
>>> it simple".
>> My motto is keep it simple,effective,stable,fast,free,open,good coded,
>> good unusably good support and bug free. :-D
>
> Well, then your motto does not comply with your requests. Atleast the
> simplicity point doesn't match.

It would make my live a lot easier if there are not so much strange
things in the software that I have to explain to other people that need
help.

>> So If I have a file with a link to a image I just want to be able to
>> past it in a icon edit field and have the icon of my choice.
>>
>> I made a screenshot of a example of what it good be.

Can it be implemented to get a extra edit field for icon section so
people can directly past a link to the icon they want to use.

>>> Concerning the "bla" name. I did so, but I don't see anything special.
>> I made a screenshot of what happens it is by the attachments.
>>
>> I hope this helps?
>
> Yep, you've just discovered one of the best features of
> exo-desktop-item-edit. It allows you to easily create launchers for
> applications installed on your system without having to look for
> binaries or icons. It's a simple entry completion, that matches the
> substring you enter into the Name entry. Just go ahead typing your name
> if you don't see anything that matches your needs in the completion and
> it'll disappear once no applications matches (or just press Esc).

I now about the feature but is does not work correct.

It shows stuff totally unrelated to the keyword used. It shows all
programs with a *.desktop on the system it probably scans in
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/ but by default on xubuntu there a a lot
of those items with no install. So you get a lot of options for programs
that do not exist on the computer.

If I type bla in the field I only want programs that begins with bla.
It only happens when you have typed only 3 letters.  If i type "tesse" I
get a option for "JigglyPuff" that is just strange. I call that a bug.

Best regards,

Jelle