[Thunar-dev] Thunar launcher does not behave as I think it should ?! Update One

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Dec 31 19:19:16 CET 2006

Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Now If I open a tool like gftp or simply browse with my terminal in my
> desktop directory. I see all those strange file name's by the *.desktop.
> That don't make sens at all things like "set multiplier.desktop" for a
> launcer that starts a music program and stuff like that. I now how this
> comes and it would be nice to have a file name entry in the launcher editor.

Sorry, but why don't you think about the names of .desktop files before
creating them? That would save you the rename step as well. Surely more
effective.

>> (b) Why would you want to replace the nice and easy to use icon selector
>> with an ugly entry box? You may have missed the Thunar/Xfce motto "Keep
>> it simple".
>
> My motto is keep it simple,effective,stable,fast,free,open,good coded,
> good unusably good support and bug free. :-D

Well, then your motto does not comply with your requests. Atleast the
simplicity point doesn't match.

> So If I have a file with a link to a image I just want to be able to
> past it in a icon edit field and have the icon of my choice.
>
> I made a screenshot of a example of what it good be.
>
>> Concerning the "bla" name. I did so, but I don't see anything special.
>
> I made a screenshot of what happens it is by the attachments.
>
> I hope this helps?

Yep, you've just discovered one of the best features of
exo-desktop-item-edit. It allows you to easily create launchers for
applications installed on your system without having to look for
binaries or icons. It's a simple entry completion, that matches the
substring you enter into the Name entry. Just go ahead typing your name
if you don't see anything that matches your needs in the completion and
it'll disappear once no applications matches (or just press Esc).