[Thunar-dev] Hi! about Thunar

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Dec 30 13:27:59 CET 2006

ranomano wrote:
> Hi to all guys,

Hi Claudio,

> 1)
> I would like to ask you, if, in future releases, could be implemented a "chmod-like" gesture of file properties!!!
> (e.g. advanced tab or a type-in text box)
>
> Now is very user-frendly
> (oh, that is most important! No doubt at all ;) )
> but doesn't allow to set, for example, 744. or sticky bit.
>
> i know there is Terminal for that, but trough the GUI of Thunar is really fast for a user that is not a "power-user" like me ;)

Initially, I had an "Advanced" tab/dialog in mind for certain commonly
unused file properties. But since it appeared to me, that the sticky bit
is not something that a user wants to modify, I dropped that idea. In
reality the sticky bit is only useful on multiuser systems (i.e.
servers) and only for the superuser. But Thunar is a file manager for
users, not necessarily a tool for administrators.

> 2)
> ;)
> let's say i have some broken-soft_link in my ~/foo folder...
> Every time i open that folder with thunar i see those link (whith red cross icon) disappearing rapidly from the screen...
> is that a normal thing? is that a voluntary implementation?
> if yes, i think IMHO, it colud be more useful they "resist" on the screen so the user can check them...

Sounds like Gamin/FAM telling Thunar that the file is gone. Try without
Gamin/FAM, and if so, file a bug report to the appropriate package.

> Bye bye,
> Claudio

HTH,