[Thunar-dev] File Permissions dialog

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Dec 24 15:19:32 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:

>>> It might also be cool to see all users/groups with their associated
>>> rights for that file/folder.
>>>
>>> "User 'Harold' can delete, modify and write to this folder"
>>> "Group 'Users' can modify this folder"
>>> etc...
>>>
>> It already does that doesn't it?  In the Permissions tab:
>>
>> Owner: user_name
>> Access: Read & Write
>>
>> Group: users
>> Access: None
>>
>> Others: None
>>
> But then the other way around... For example, I am Harold and the
> owner of FolderA. If I'd like to know which rights John has on this
> folder, I now have to find out which group he is a member of and what
> rights are assigned to that group.
Ah I see what you mean.  That's kind of a separate tool though, you
could run it from thunar using the User Customisable Actions.  You could
script it to cat to a terminal by greping /etc/groups (although, is
there a command to find all users in a particular group?).

> ...but since there can only be one group assigned to one folder (I
> want extended file attributes!), this is indeed not needed...
Does Thunar work with extended attributes?