[Thunar-dev] Network access in thunar?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Aug 5 13:33:32 CEST 2006

Stephan Arts wrote:
>>Will Thunar eventually support network access such as accessing your
>>Samba shares? In Gnome, it's possible to connect to the network using
>>e.g. smb://mycomputer or ssh://me@server. Currently, for these use
>>cases I have to start Nautilus (and make sure I don't just start
>>"nautilus", or my desktop will be overtaken by it!).
>
> It would be interesting to see this kind of functionality. It has been
> discussed before, thunar won't support it by default (IIRC), but
> eventually it will be possible to write plugins for these things.

Well, I have a patch to add samba support based on libsmbclient, but it
doesn't work properly right now (esp. auth handling with libsmbclient is
a mess). I have received several feature requests for samba support, so
I guess that's atleast important enough to think about this again.

Maybe I'll commit that for RC1, but disabled by default. Dunno yet.