[Thunar-dev] browse forward and back via mousebuttons

Stefan Stuhr thunardevlist at sstuhr.dk
Mon Apr 10 14:02:54 CEST 2006

man, 10 04 2006 kl. 13:40 +0200, skrev Benedikt Meurer:
> It was the default, but, as said earlier, it was disabled by default
> as
> there are some people around with track balls in notebooks which can
> be
> used to scroll vertically and horizontally and there its too easy to
> go
> back and forward accidently. I thought it would be better to offer a
> sane default, so people with weird notebooks don't recognize Thunar as
> broken by default.
>
> But I don't have a strong opinion here.

I am, of course, biased, as I am the one who opened bug #1319. But I do
think that horizontal scroll events really should scroll horizontal by
default. That's the default GTK behaviour, used in all GTK programs by
default.

A thing I would like to know is, does these mice with back/forward
buttons scroll horizontal as a mouse wheel would when the back/forward
button is pressed and the cursor is hovering over some kind of view with
a horizontal scrollbar? (That is, not in Firefox with default horizontal
scroll configuration.)
If they do behave like that, it's like, "How do we implement
back/forward buttons in the easiest way without requiring special
drivers?" "I have an idea: Let's misuse the horizontal scroll events!
Nobody uses those anyway."

> Benedikt

Stefan