[Thunar-dev] Fwd: Thunar rather than later... it's a website!

Erik Harrison erikharrison at xfce.org
Mon Sep 19 20:17:38 CEST 2005

Very nice design, and well done indeed.

However, is it possible to cut down on the size of the sidebar a few
pixels. I initially thought that I need to side scroll, because the
ratios of sidebar to main content is a little higher than the average.
My brain just assumed before I could look that the page wasn't fitting
horizontally.

Other than that, gorgeous

On 9/19/05, Jeff Franks <jcfranks at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working hard for the past three weeks on my proposal for the
> Thunar web site. Rather than risk the discussion becoming an off topic I
> collaborated with Jannis Pohlmann off-list to nut out the technical
> XHMTL/CSS details, to ensure the website would be standards compliant.
> Achieving compliance and a great looking design was hard... because I
> had to think outside the box. I'm happy with the result though and
> hopefully you will be too.
>
> So here is the website:
>
> http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web
>
> and here is the web page template and CSS file if your interested:
>
> http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web/template.xhtml
> http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web/styles/thunar-blue.css.
>
> Here are a few points to note:
>
> 1. I wanted to design a layout that could easily be used for a new Xfce
> website (and any of its related websites) if so desired. Just change the
> color scheme and logos.
>
> 2. The main page, index.xhtml contains Dublin Core meta elements for the
> HTML head (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/). If you didn't
> know, these elements are one of the best ways to make a website known to
> the most important search engines.
>
> 3. The 'top bar' is the area where links to external websites could be
> placed, as is currently done on the Xfce website. As there are no links
> there yet I have temporarily inserted space. If the space is not there
> the top bar will not be displayed.
>
> 4. The space below the sidebar could be used for dedicated icons, such
> as a WC3 XHTML 1.0/CSS compliance icon, or a sponsor's icon if there was
> a sponsor.
>
> 5. With the Opera browser there is a 'corner' image display problem
> because of the way the browser resizes images. This is not my problem
> and by now I'm sure Opera users are used to such bad effects.
>
> 6  The text content and links have just been taken from the current
> Thunar site as an example of what the new web pages could contain.  The
> text and links can be changed/refined as  required.
>
> Well that's it. Let me know what you think. It's 0339 in the morning and
> I have to get to bed so I'll answer any posts that need to be answered
> when I wake up.
>
> Jeff.

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik