[Thunar-dev] Thunar Extension Framework

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Tue Sep 13 14:13:58 CEST 2005

Ori Bernstein wrote:
> Maybe not for version one, but I think that it would be really interesting to
> allow extensions to define "virtual files" and "virtual directories", in
> addition to adding menu items and such.
>
> Use cases that I can see would be allowing programs like "Beagle" to provide
> virtual folders as a plubin, which would contain running [saved] queries, or to
> allow navigation within a tarball, or maybe some sort of "directory unifier"
> plugin, to allow displaying all document directories across the computer as
> one directory, and many other interesting uses.
>
> Of course, this is just an idea that I think would be cool to have.

Uhm just why exactly do you want to provide these as thunar plugins?

IMHO virtual filesystem goodies should not be implemented in the file
manager but in the "real" filesystem. What good are virtual directories
if your non-vfs-enabled programs can't use them !?

Take a look at projects like fuse <fuse.sf.net> for implementing virtual
directories at the right level.

I have been asking on this list about samba filesystem interaction a
while ago and I was told to wait for d-vfs. I now solve this with fuse
smbnetfs. If thunar ever gets smb  support I won't use it because my
filesystem already can do that :)

just my 2p

Jaap

P.S. I'm working on a small GUI to mount fuse modules which is intended
as a work-alike for the gnome "connect to server" dialog. I'll post it
when it's finished.

--
    )   (     Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]                | |0| |
    :   :     http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus    | | |0|