[Thunar-dev] Thunar Extension Framework

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Mon Sep 12 05:36:56 CEST 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:43:54 +0200, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> said:

> As said earlier I have been working on the extension framework for
> Thunar lately. I just commmitted the first bunch of changes which
> includes support for menu and property page providers (in a way mostly
> compatible with Nautilus).
>
> I've uploaded the current developer documentation to
> http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/thunarx-1/. It describes the core C
> API and the background. If all goes well (real life bothers me quite
> often recently), there'll be Python bindings available soon, and with
> the Python bindings in place other binding-writers should be able to
> write the support for their languages quite easily.

Maybe not for version one, but I think that it would be really interesting to
allow extensions to define "virtual files" and "virtual directories", in
addition to adding menu items and such.

Use cases that I can see would be allowing programs like "Beagle" to provide
virtual folders as a plubin, which would contain running [saved] queries, or to
allow navigation within a tarball, or maybe some sort of "directory unifier"
plugin, to allow displaying all document directories across the computer as
one directory, and many other interesting uses.

Of course, this is just an idea that I think would be cool to have.

--
Marriage is learning about women the hard way.