[Thunar-dev] Fallback website

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Sep 9 16:07:16 CEST 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:
> Benedikt, Jasper,
>
> I'm just about finished the new layout pages using NO TABLES. I'm trying
> to choose the minimum web page width to minimize ugly overlap of page
> elements when the browser window is narrowed. Just out of curiosity why
> does the page have to fit into an 890x670 firefox window?  To set one
> mimimum width across all elements I have placed the entire <body>
> container to 890px will that be about right?

890x670 (+/- 30px) is the average size of browser windows we have here
on both X11 and Windows workstations, for resolutions from 1024x768 (I
don't quite get it why people use such large browser windows in such a
small resolution, but whatever) to 1600x1200. Don't ask me why this is,
but I assume that this size is a good compromise to not waste too much
screen space for the browser window, but still be able to view all (but
some broken) websites with horizontal scrollbars.

The website does not need to be limited to that size, but it should be
possible to display the website with a browser at this size w/o having
to scroll horizontally or wrapping menu texts. There's no problem if the
menu text is wrapped for widths below 750px.