[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails (again)

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Sep 5 07:51:12 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Ok, we had that thumbnails discussion some time ago, and since there was
> no real consensus about which way to go (separate thumb view or
> thumbnails in all views), I just went the way most people seemed to
> prefer, having thumbnails in all views (we can still add a separate
> thumb view later with this solution).
>
> The performance is quite ok from my current tests. Still I'd like
> everybody to try it out and comment on the performance. Note that Thunar
> cannot yet generate thumbnails of its own, so you'll need to visit the
> target folders with another file manager (e.g. Nautilus) or a image
> viewer capable of creating thumbnails first.

I generally use a thumbnail program like gthumb or gqview to manage
images. On the other hand, they are kinda handy when I'm browsing around
in a directory of mixed files and a few images are also there.

In short, I'd like to be able to toggle thumbs. I'm not sure if the
default should be toggled on or off -- I'd prefer it off, but I suppose
most users would like it on.

-- b