[Thunar-dev] Unification of Treeview and Sidepanel

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Fri May 13 12:18:20 CEST 2005

Brian wrote:

>[snip]
>
>I can start porting the python interface to C and connecting some empty
>callbacks to the buttons and such.
>
>The only reason I can see for using gtk 2.6 is that there are one or two
>more stock icons. (Help dialog comes to mind. I believe that mousepad
>has a preprocessor command that checks the gtk version)

There are several other reasons. By the time Xfce 4.4 is released most
distributions will distribute GTK 2.6 which has a lot of improvements
over GTK 2.4. For example,

1)  GtkCellRenderText, GtkLabel, GtkProgressBar and PangoLayout support
for ellipsized text.

2)  GtkLabel support rotated text

3)  GtkAboutDialog vs XfceAboutDialog

4)  GLib's GOption API for user defined commandline option parsing.

5)  GdkPixbuf support image rotation

6)  GtkMenuToolButton vs XfceMenuButton

7)  GtkFileChooserButton

8)  GtkCellRendererCombo

9)  An improved GtkFileChooser widget

10) GtkListStore and GtkUIManager performance improvements making
widgets like GtkIconView perform better.

Is there any real reason not to use GTK+ 2.6 as the minimum requirement
for Xfce 4.4. May be then a few widgets could be deprecated in favour of
the new GTK ones (e.g. GtkMenuToolButton, GtkAboutDialog).

Jeff.