[Thunar-dev] Unification of Treeview and Sidepanel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri May 13 08:49:47 CEST 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 11:03:53PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> >Ok, guys, I don't think the next step in thunar development should be more
> >mockups of the GUI. One comment on that: the goal is to make a 'simple' file
> >manager; this doesn't mean complete lack of features, it mostly means no user
> >interface overload. Combining trees and shortcuts in one view sounds like xffm
> >to me, we already have that and that is not the goal. Keyboard shortcuts to
> >switch between shortcut and treeview will hopefully be enough to satisfy the
> >power users among us.
> >
> >Now, the way forward, IMO, is for one or more people to try and implement
> >backend code based on the interaction diagram created by benny. We (you?
> >they?) should aim at creating the minimal features necessary for a file
> >manager (listing files, copying/moving, mime types/program launching). It is
> >easy to add features later, it is very hard to remove anything once people are
> >using your program.
> >
> >I know both Brian (kelnos) and Erik (no short nick worth mentioning ;-) were
> >thinking about starting to code on thunar soon. It's probably hard to
> >coordinate things, especially without benny, but for people who are interested
> >in writing some code for thunar, let's try and keep this list informed about
> >what you intend to work on.
> >
> >	Jasper
> >

> I can start porting the python interface to C and connecting some empty
> callbacks to the buttons and such.
>
> The only reason I can see for using gtk 2.6 is that there are one or two
> more stock icons. (Help dialog comes to mind. I believe that mousepad
> has a preprocessor command that checks the gtk version)
>
> I'd be able to start sometime after Tuesday, but I won't have much time
> until at least the end of next week.

I'm not sure it is wise to start with the UI. I can imagine implementation of
the user interface will depend quite a bit on the implementation of the
backends. I don't remember if benny had any thoughts about this on the wiki.
If you don't mind things being ripped out again it might not be such a bad
idea to have some GUI C code to work with though. I suggest you have a look at
the gtk file chooser dialog code as well as the python mockup.

	Jasper