[Thunar-dev] Unification of Treeview and Sidepanel

Brian brian-schott at cox.net
Fri May 13 01:03:53 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>Ok, guys, I don't think the next step in thunar development should be more
>mockups of the GUI. One comment on that: the goal is to make a 'simple' file
>manager; this doesn't mean complete lack of features, it mostly means no user
>interface overload. Combining trees and shortcuts in one view sounds like xffm
>to me, we already have that and that is not the goal. Keyboard shortcuts to
>switch between shortcut and treeview will hopefully be enough to satisfy the
>power users among us.
>
>Now, the way forward, IMO, is for one or more people to try and implement
>backend code based on the interaction diagram created by benny. We (you?
>they?) should aim at creating the minimal features necessary for a file
>manager (listing files, copying/moving, mime types/program launching). It is
>easy to add features later, it is very hard to remove anything once people are
>using your program.
>
>I know both Brian (kelnos) and Erik (no short nick worth mentioning ;-) were
>thinking about starting to code on thunar soon. It's probably hard to
>coordinate things, especially without benny, but for people who are interested
>in writing some code for thunar, let's try and keep this list informed about
>what you intend to work on.
>
>	Jasper

I can start porting the python interface to C and connecting some empty
callbacks to the buttons and such.

The only reason I can see for using gtk 2.6 is that there are one or two
more stock icons. (Help dialog comes to mind. I believe that mousepad
has a preprocessor command that checks the gtk version)

I'd be able to start sometime after Tuesday, but I won't have much time
until at least the end of next week.

Brian Schott