[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Xiong Jiang linuster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 20:51:36 CEST 2005

Maybe like many others, I usually need command line many times on
computer (Linux or Windows). I like the idea of location bar very
much, so that one can copy/paste the path out/in easily. Since the
location bar actually shows the same info - the path - as path
buttons, it should not be permanent on the UI. However a CTRL-L hotkey
to bring it out is just _too hard_ for me. In a  file browser user
usually expect to use mouse to do most if not anything. I suggest the
following:

We can add a sensitive area (hidden button) on the right end of path
buttons. When user clicks it, the whole path button panel becomes
hidden, and the traditional location bar is shown in the place, with
the current path text highlighted. Then copy/paste the path is just a
few clicks away. When this location bar loses focus, it turns back
into path buttons.

This will save place in desktop area, and achieve the goal very intuitively.

Sincerely,