[Thunar-dev] Compression in thunar

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Mar 25 22:57:43 CET 2005

Foxtrot wrote:
>>>Will there be a compression menu for quickly creating tar.bz2 etc. in
>>>thunar (like xffm but maybe cascaded for preventing big menu's when
>>>the filenames are long)?
>>
>>Maybe through the Actions menu.
>
> Does this discussion include decompression? I don't think
> decompression is a feature that Thunar should be without, as it's
> necessary for installing tar.gz packages. You could obviously use the
> terminal, but then what's the point of a file manager?
>
> Compression is something I can personally live without. I don't see
> how any non-techie would have a need for this.

This is not something that should be done by a file manager (maybe
transparently through D-VFS later). We should not include too many
different applications within the file manager. Archive managers like
file-roller or the KDE equivalent (don't remember the name atm) will do
the job, most of the time they'll do it way better than a file manager;
that's the UNIX way of life, every applications does one job, and it's
best at what it does.

As said, we can later include 'extract archive' launchers in the actions
menu (or maybe the mime actions spec will be ready by that time) so you
can easily fire up the archive manager from Thunar.

greets,