[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:55:54 CET 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:35:43 +0100, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >> I'd really like to avoid having the location bar as a toolbar item
> >> (we've seen that before and it does not fit the current UI). But I
> >> think I have a mockup that'll make the location bar addicts happy as
> >> well:
> >>
> >> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-bar-20050320.tar.gz
> >> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-locationbar-20050320.png
> >>
> >> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-pathbar-20050320.png
> >>
> >> Atm, you can toggle it through the View menu. In the final version
> >> this should be a preference somewhere in the settings dialog.
> >
> > So what does that mean for the view shown here? Will this sort of thing
> > still be an option?
> > http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050319-thunar_go3.png
> >
> > That's my favorite mockup so far. I'd hate to loose it.
>
> In the new mockup, it'll popup a separate 'Open Location' dialog.
>
> The Firefox-like location bar on the bottom is a cool thing, but aside
> from the wow-effect, it adds very little usabilty currently (and
> introduces a11y problems).
>
> Btw. I don't consider 'window clutter' a valid argument against the
> separate dialog. The dialog will open centered on the main window; and
> if your window manager's focus management is not totally b0rked (like
> 'focus exactly under pointer' in kwin), you'll have no problems using
> the dialog - in fact, you already do so with GtkFileChooser, so don't
> tell me it's impossible. :-)
>
> I think both solutions have their specific advantages and disadvantages.
> Popping up a dialog makes it more obvious to users, as that's the way
> he's used to. The Firefox-like way - if done right ;-) - is nice, since
> the location bar is associated with the main view (or should be
> associated with the main view).
>
> The issues with the firefox-like way (talking about
> http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/20050319-thunar_go3.png):
>
>   * How to associated this visually with the main view?
Eliminate the frame border between the view and teh bar, just like with FF

>   * What about different themes?

Not sure what you mean

>   * What about the close button?
I think it's pretty unambiguous myself

>   * What about spacing (the current frame border width makes it look
> very busy)?
See above ;-)

>   * What about a11y? E.g. people with motoric disabilities may run into
> trouble with the focus-out handling.
Not sure this is an issue. People with strong problems here (like
parkinsons) use other physical interfaces to the machine, and people
with mild problems shouldn't see  a large problem. In fact, they
benefit most from strong keyboard driven interfaces. Hit control + L
to open the location bar, which recieves focus immediately, and type
your path.

> Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool feature, but the cool-factor is
> less important than the usability-factor. So atleast the issues
> mentioned about needs to be addressed first.
>
> Ideas? Suggestions? :o)
>
> greets,
> Benedikt

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik