[Thunar-dev] Location Bar ala Firefox

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 20 02:25:49 CET 2005

Emil Jacobs wrote:
>>These days GUI design needs to be mindful of accessability. Some
>>disabled people are unable to use standard keyboards and therefore can't
>>necessarily use keyboard shortcuts. Also keyboard shortcuts are not
>>intiutive, they have to be learned. It often takes new users a while to
>>do this. Surely its reasonable to expect an application's functionality
>>to be easily accessible with a mouse as with a keyboard.
>
> That is a good point, which brings me to another minor detail about
> the locationbar.
> Why not have a visible button for the locationbar? Not all people find
> it 'logical' to press ctrl-l or go through a menu to get there and
> disabled people would benefit from it.
> This brings me to the toolbar, an idea that was earlier on declared
> that to avoid 'clutter' in the UI.
> Why not have a user-costumizeble toolbar that is disabled by default?

As said several times before: The toolbar(s) will be editable like in
Terminal.

> The user could create the toolbar as the need arises and add or drop
> buttons like the locationbar.
> Weird idea? Please some thoughts on this.

I'd really like to avoid having the location bar as a toolbar item
(we've seen that before and it does not fit the current UI). But I think
I have a mockup that'll make the location bar addicts happy as well:

http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-bar-20050320.tar.gz
http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-locationbar-20050320.png
http://www.xfce.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-alternative-pathbar-20050320.png

Atm, you can toggle it through the View menu. In the final version this
should be a preference somewhere in the settings dialog.

> Cheers
> Emil

greets,