[Thunar-dev] Classic UI

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:59:11 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:29:01 +0100, Benedikt Meurer
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> >>In Firefox you click on links, not folders/files, thats a difference I
> >>guess.
> >
> > A file or folder is an object. You drag it around to move it or copy
> > it. Right clicking gives you a list of things you can do to the
> > object.
> >
> > A link is an action you. You click it, it takes you elsewhere. You
> > right click it, it gives you a list of ways to "do" it. Open in new
> > window, open in new tab.
> >
> > This distinction gets blurry, because you can drag a link to a
> > bookmark bar, or run an application, but people don't generally think
> > in that mode unless they have to - that's why the save options are
> > lower down in the Firefox right click menu, and there are no action
> > like items in the right click menu in the Windows file manager at all
> > (at least on this system here).
>
> Very nice explanation, but I'm a bit confused now: Does that mean it's
> good to do it like Firefox or not?

Well, optimize for your use case (just like both do). In this case we
tend to think of files as objects, so double clicking is what most
people would assume.

The only reason to do single middle click is ergonomics - most middle
mouse buttons are hard to double click. But honestly, if you go buy a
non cheap mouse nowadays, it isn't a problem.

So my vote is for double click ;-)

> greets,
> Benedikt

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik